Monday, December 6, 2010
Awesomest night card, round 1, part 12
Phew! With all the talk about Carlton Fisk's booty on the previous Awesomest Night Card post, I started getting concerned that, first, I would never be able to look at this card the same way again, and second, that this card would somehow LOSE after all the backside analysis.
Fortunately, most people think with their heads and not their ... um, you know ... and the Fisk Masterpieces card advanced rather easily to the next round of the Night Card tournament.
Here is the lowdown:
1. 2007 Upper Deck Masterpieces Carlton Fisk: 29 votes
2. 2008 Topps U&H Ken Griffey Jr. Highlights: 6 votes
3. 1974 Topps Game 4 1973 World Series: 6 votes
4. 2008 Topps Wilson Betemit: 1 vote
5. 2005 Fleer Tradition Adrian Beltre: 0 votes
6. 1987 Fleer SuperStar Special Dave Parker/Ryne Sandberg: 0 votes
OK. This is where I speed things up a little bit.
I want to get stupid Round 1 over by the end of the year, so I'm going to feature 10 cards in the next grouping. I'll do that through the end of December and that should get me to Round 2 next month and you'll actually have something to do in January.
Hopefully, you'll be able to focus on 10 cards enough to pick the best one.
Anyway, here they are:
1. 2007 Topps Classic Combo Sean Casey and Placido Polanco: Oh and that Pujols guy, too. But why mention him?
2. 2001 Upper Deck Vintage Night-Gamers Troy Glaus: I have a soft spot for this card, obviously.
3. 1975/76 SSPC Willie Davis: I think I'd vote for this one if I had a vote (no, I do not vote in my own polls. How pathetic do you think I am?)
4. 2009 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions Tiger Woods, night variation: I still have this card. Anyone want to take it off my hands? Anyone?
5. 1990 Score Nolan Ryan: You can't go wrong with Nolan. I think I have a better Ryan night card that I haven't featured yet.
6. 2000 Fleer Tradition Season Highlights Brent Mayne: Mayne is a catcher pitching. You must love this card.
7. 1975/76 SSPC Ed Goodson: Two SSPC cards on one post! This card is in my Dodger binder, even though he is obviously in a Giants uniform. It says he's a Dodger on the back. I heard Ed Goodson wanted it that way.
8. 2002 Donruss Originals Kevin Brown: I displayed this card to demonstrate how much I did not enjoy Kevin Brown. But I could make a pretty good case for Paul Lo Duca, too.
9. 2010 Topps History of the Game First Night Game: I absolutely applaud the subject. But that ain't a picture of the first night game.
10. 1986 O-Pee-Chee Don Sutton: It's OPC! It's Don Sutton! Oooh, this going to be tough.
So there you go, a whole mess of night cards. Ten of them!
Is your head spinning?
Oh, stop whining you big babies.
Time to vote on the sidebar at right. Be quick about it.