Skip to main content

Big League Baseball isn't even out yet and there are errors


Today, Topps tweeted out its checklist for its new baseball card set, "Big League Baseball," which I believe is being released later this month.

This set has a lot of appeal for traditional collectors as, for starters, the cards actually feature a border. It's also a 400-card set with a basic design (it reminds me of Topps Total) and includes limited inserts. From what I've seen of the very few card images available, the set holds some promise.

I believe this is the set that has replaced Topps Bunt. I always thought Bunt was OK, although most of the appeal was that it wasn't difficult on set-builders and it was relatively cheap. The actual cards weren't that interesting. Big League Baseball also appears to be relatively cheap as I heard boxes are around $50.

I probably won't be chasing this set. It's not enough to excite me. And it's coming out in the same time frame as two favorites, Stadium Club and Allen & Ginter.

I've seen the checklist, too, and there are around 10 Dodgers in the base set. That's not enough for me to not feel like I'm chasing the same guys all the time (Kershaw, Bellinger, Seager, Kershaw, Bellinger, Seager, Kershaw, Bellinger, Seager).

I did notice something interesting about the checklist, as did a couple of other people when Topps linked to it:


Take a gander at card No. 235.

It's Bartolo Colon ... listed as a rookie.

Forty-five-year-old Bartolo Colon, who has been pitching in the majors since 1997, listed as a rookie.

Now I think I might want to collect the set just to see what that's going to look like.

(P.S.: I know that's just one error, not "errors," but that's a pretty big one if they don't catch it, right?)

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Those darn teenie-bopper player selectors at Topps! Probably never watched a game in their life and wouldn’t know who Clayton Kershaw was if he was their Siamese twin. It’s sad the stuff baseball card collectors have to endure compared to 20-25 years ago. Millions of parallels, prospecting, idiots making the checklist who don’t know a darn thing. With that being said, I’m probably going to buy a handful of packs and maybe a box if I like it enough. Meh......
gcrl said…
if that dodger stadium bark in the park card got cut from the checklist i will be quite unhappy.
carlsonjok said…
A 45 year old rookie? That is worthy, at a minimum, a 30 for 30 special.
Fuji said…
Bartolo Colon. That's a HUGE error!
ketchupman36 said…
If these boxes retail for $50, consider me out. Bunt was a cheap product, $20 or $30 for a box, I can't remember. Bunt was supposed to be fun. Don't worry about hits, just focus on the cards. At a low price point, I could do that. But if BLB is $50? What a mistake.