Skip to main content

Awesome night card, pt. 270: spring has sprung


I finally found a few minutes to watch a spring training game on television today.

Spring training always coincides with the busiest time of the year for me. I'd love to do nothing but watch spring training games every day -- I'd love even more to travel to Florida or Arizona to do nothing but watch spring training games in person every day. But every year all I can do is catch a snippet here or there until the very end of March when I have just a little more time.

Anyway, I was able to watch some of the Dodgers against the Brewers today. It was delightful, seeing the old familiar faces and a few new ones. The relaxed setting, the wonderful weather, the weird Dodger caps. It's nice to reacquaint myself with April Through October again.

As I was watching, I began to think about the Dodger player that I looked forward to watching most this season.

I always enjoy watching Clayton Kershaw, and now Corey Seager, too. But the one player that I want to see more of -- to see what he can do and how he may have improved over the past offseason -- is Julio Urias.

Last year he showed how much potential he has, even if the results weren't that great, even if he didn't stay on the mound for very long. I want to see what he can do with more time and more experience.

I received the above Urias card from reader R.C. It's one of those "continuity program" chrome '87s, and it's curling way too much already.


R.C. sent another Continuity Card of another member of the Dodgers' pitching staff, Kenta Maeda.

I believe I have all of the Dodger pitchers contained in this Continuity set now.

Urias' performance will go a long way toward determining how deep the Dodgers' pitching staff is in 2017. And that's why I'm looking forward to watching him the most this season.

So how about you? Who is the one player from your favorite team that you want to see most this season?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome Night Card: Julio Urias, 2017 Topps 1987 Chrome Continuity, #87-JU
Does it make the night card binder?: Well, no, it doesn't have A CARD NUMBER. (Also, it's going in the Dodger binder)

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
My Reds are destined to have another pitiful year, but if the team is to have any hope in the near future then this is the year for the young guys to step up and show what they can do. On that front, I'm most interested in seeing Amir Garrett pitch and Nick Senzel hit. Of course, there is still Joey Votto to watch play baseball everyday as well - one of the most patient hitters that I've ever seen play.
Metallattorney said…
I'm anxious to see how Chris Sale does in a Red Sox uniform personally.
Commishbob said…
I want to see if Chris Davis can get back to being what he was a few seasons back. Supposedly his wrist is finally healed. We'll see.

My first peek at spring ball came yesterday, Dodgers(!)-Athletics. Watched a few innings and felt regret that I passed on my chance to head to Florida this year.
Brian said…
It's about time for the annual "Joe Mauer had a really productive off-season" story to break. The Twins have a ton of young players to watch this year. Berrios, Buxton, Kepler, Sano etc etc etc. My favorite Twin is still Kennys Vargas, and this year he's been given a great chance to be the everyday DH. So, I'll be hoping this is the year Vargas breaks out.
BobWalkthePlank said…
I'm excited for Tyler Glasnow. He is a big kid (6"8) so it will take him a while to figure out his command issues. The ceiling is so high for him.