Skip to main content

Scoreboard watching

Quite some time ago, I mentioned on this blog how much I like cards that feature a scoreboard in the background.

I devoted an entire Cardboard Appreciation post to it. And no one commented. So, I shrugged my shoulders, figured I was the only one who thought it was cool and moved on.

Then, last week, Jeremy from No One Is Going To Read This Blog mentioned that he liked those kinds of cards, too. At last! A kindred spirit.

It was a relief, because I had never really let go of an idea that I had, which was to show cards with scoreboards in the background in a regular feature on this blog. And, just to give me another plate to spin in the air, I thought I'd rate the cards, too.

So, after months of the idea stagnating on the shelf, I officially give you a series called Awesome Scoreboard Cards (edit: Now called "Sick Scoreboard Cards").

Really, the standing ovation is unnecessary. Please sit down.

The first card is the 2004 Fleer Tradition card of Lance Berkman. I like this one a lot, because you get a nice close-up of the illuminated scoreboard. A scoreboard must be illuminated, or there will be a deduction of points. (Sorry, Fenway Park).

The best part is the scoreboard actually makes the card. I speak for everyone who is not a Houston Astros fan by saying I am immediately bored when I pull an Astros card out of a pack. Even one of Fat Elvis.

So, that is quite a feat, sprucing up an Astros card, without the use of those rainbowed uniforms from the '70s.

And for that, I am giving the 2004 Fleer Tradition Lance Berkman scoreboard card ...


















... three out of a possible four Disembodied Hand Claps.

Until next time, this has been "Awesome Scoreboard Cards and the Collectors Who Love Them."

Comments

Nicely done. I appreciate how he positioned himself to you could make out the teams/scores on the scoreboard. You and Jeremy are on to something.
Captain Canuck said…
What I like best about scorecard cards is figuring out what date the game was played, who won, and how the player featured did in that game.
zman40 said…
I love the "Disembodied Hand Claps" rating system. That is one of a kind!
Jeremy said…
Their really is something simplistic in the scoreboard cards. I think it's just the bright numbers and letters behind the figure that make it known that it's a night time game or something. The Berkman card is a good candidate for a scoreboard card. I might have to try a post like this, but I would have never come up with the disembodied hands for the rating system.

Actually I wouldn't have thought to come up with a rating system at all.

I'm glad to see that you finally did your background scoreboard post!
Field of Cards said…
'Disembodied Hand Claps' is hands down the best rating system in the history of the world. Seriously.
Joe S. said…
If the disembodies hands are telling me to clap, what other choice to I have??
capewood said…
You know, I like those scoreboard showing cards as well. Plus the ones which have huge advertising signs in them as well.