Skip to main content

I deserve to complete a set


With the significant volume of unpleasantness that has infected this month, and particularly this week (and probably the next), I'm feeling a little entitled.

That's what happens when things aren't going your way. You start to feel like you deserve something. I deserve that doughnut. I deserve to watch TV for the next six hours. Can you believe what he/she said to me? I deserve a few drinks.

That's how I'm feeling. Just a little bit mind you.

But I won't be stuffing my face or pounding back several at the bar. No, for this collector, he feels like he deserves to complete a set.

It's been awhile. I haven't been doing too well in that area either. The '73 Topps quest has stagnated (the long gaps between card shows has something to do with that). The '81 Fleer want list actually grew after I was down to what I thought was just one or two cards. It's now four. .. Isn't anything going right?

So that is why when I saw what was in an envelope from mr haverkamp that came just today, I shoved aside any of the packages that had arrived before it, scrapped my intended blog post idea and pushed that baby all the way to the front! Yes, this package is cutting in line. Because it completed a set! And I deserve to complete a set!

It also just happens to be one of my favorite retro sets of all-time.

The 2001 Upper Deck Decade 1970s set is not perfect. Not even close. First, there is the ridiculous name. I don't know what it means and it's a hassle every time to type it out. The amount of repetition among the players featured is ridiculous, too. There is a mish-mash of black & white and color images, which gives it an amateur look. And Upper Deck displays its usual lack of appreciation for collectors by repeating the same images within the set.

However, I love it for its ode to the 1970s. Many of my '70s favorites are included. And the colorful border design is an obvious riff on my all-time favorite set, from 1975 Topps.

I've mentioned before that I discovered this set during my hiatus from collecting. It was in 2001 or possibly 2002 when I was walking through Fay's Drugs and found these cards displayed in rack-pack fashion on an end cap. What in the world were these? Joe Morgan has another card? I bought a couple of packs and they were probably my favorite cards purchased during that 1995-2005 period until I discovered Fan Favorites a year or two later.

Here are the other cards that mr haverkamp sent that complete the set:


What a wonderful set to complete.

I still need to finish off a couple of insert sets -- Arms Race and Decade Dynasties -- but I am very happy that the base set is finished. Any set that pays tribute to the players of my childhood deserves to be completed.

There were three non-1970s cards in the envelope as well.


These are all for my 1985 Fleer completion quest. They may be on a 1980s card set, but all three are very 1970s players and I will think of them as '70s players before I ever get to their '80s days.



Also included was this brief Dodger in A&G mini form, Tim Federowicz. This is my 15th card -- all from 2012 -- of Federowicz, who played all of 89 games for L.A. He was still playing in the majors in 2018, but it's difficult to find any cards of him post-2012 because HE WASN'T A ROOKIE ANYMORE.

Yup, that stuff still gets me upset.

Because it's very un-1970s.

Now that the 2001 Upper Deck Decade 1970s set is complete, you can count on a post dedicated to a breakdown of the entire set. That will have to wait until there's a little more time in my life.

But I guarantee you that it be written. Because nothing makes me happier than reviewing a set that I've completed, especially when it's devoted to the '70s.

Sets like that deserve to be chronicled.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Never thought I would say this, but I am looking forward to your post on a set from the 2000's.
John Bateman said…
I always wished I collect the UD 70s decade set. I remember about 15-18 years ago Upper Deck website had all the cards checklisted with photos
Billy Kingsley said…
The Trading Card Database has them. More than half the inserts have complete galleries too.
https://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/1507/2001-Upper-Deck-Decade-1970's
Billy Kingsley said…
That's a cool looking set. I'm glad they did a set focusing on one whole decade. Most of the "historical" sets for the NBA basically don't go any older than 1979 with the exception of one player from the 50s and 3-5 from the 1960s, always the same players. It's disappointing to me. If I was into baseball I would have been all over that set when it was new.
I see tributes to more than just 75 Topps in there as well, I like how UD snuck in nods to actual 70s cards. The border of the Ryan card looks like a mixup of 1989 Pro Set football and 1972 Topps baseball, for example. I look forward to seeing your detailed breakdown of it!
Billy Kingsley said…
Oh yeah, congrats on completing it! Not sure how I missed mentioning that, duh at me.
Very cool set. That is one that I'd want to complete as well.
Fuji said…
A. The 2001 UD Decade set is awesome! Love the design and the players that make up the checklist.

B. That set was a beast to complete. I have zero evidence, but I feel like cards 111 to 180 were short printed or something.

C. Looking forward to one day reading your set breakdown.
Matt said…
I love how the Cy Young/MVP awards are basically just a guy walking...
Defenders50 said…
At least from what I see, that's a pretty colorful set, and one I hadn't known about until today. Can't wait to see the full write-up/breakdown.
I have a few cards from the 2001 Upper Deck Decades set, and I'm pretty fond of it. Love all the different borders and designs across the checklist. Congrats on finishing it up.
arpsmith said…
That's a great looking set, congrats on the completion. I would argue that there is little more satisfying in this hobby than finishing a set.